Poster 1: This was one of my original ideas for my final poster, which was purely a graphic design based outcome, using a simply the disability semiotic, framed with a border containing part of a strong message, to get people to realise that they are human being with feelings. This poster was designed to be confrontational, to shock people, especially with the phrase “One Day It Could Be You”. However, I felt at the time, that there was still a need for more development, to improve my outcome.
Poster 2: This was a typographic experiment that was simple, but powerful. Replacing the “A” in Human Beings, with the disability semiotic, creates this powerful message, emphasising the fact that people with disabilities are human beings, that should be treated as fairly as non disabled human beings. When reviewing this poster, I personally thought it would suit better, serving as a logo that will be part of the poster and aid in promoting my message.
Poster 3: This was a intriguing experiment, which I have never practiced before, altering the form of text to create a basic silhouette of a human being. To achieve this effect, I had to work in Illustrator, which enables you alter the shape of the letters in my message, by simply converting the text into a shape. The experiment did work well, however, the silhouette looks more like a crash dummy than a actual person. If I was going to develop this idea further, I would work with a silhouette of an person, either male or female, molding the text to the outlines of the silhouette.
Poster 4: In this poster, I decided to use my clipping mask experiment, to focus my poster on illustration, my chosen pathway. I made some improvements to the image, adding tone to the face, using the paint brush in Photoshop. To achieve the variation of tone, I lowered the opacity of the paint brush, creating multiple layers. The typography of the poster did not look very good, so typography experimentation will be required. I will have to try out some fonts.
Poster 5: I changed the font to Castella, which I thought initial looked good, but after speaking to the lecturers and other students, they made me realised that all the serifs did not suit the imagery, looking too fancy. They also made me realise that the illustration in the middle of the poster is too small and should be enlarged to fill the poster for effect. Furthermore, one student advised me to make the word visible an off white colour, so that the word is not so clear, which would compliment my message
Poster 6: The font was changed to Bank Gothic Medium BT, which was more clear and simple, working well with the illustrative imagery. The message was far more legible and the typography looked good against the image. Enlarging the illustration in the center looks much better, making the poster more aesthetically pleasing.
Poster 7: Now that I have got a poster of the man, I needed to design a poster with a woman, to ensure that there is no discrimination against the gender. I used clipping mask for both the man and the woman, with both have a similar design, with flares radiating out from their brains. I wanted the poster to be a pair, to make sure that their is no discrimination of gender.
Poster 8: Rather than have all the letters the same size, I explore enlarging the first letter at the beginning of each word, as a experiment. After doing this experiment, I thought that enlarging the first letters of each word for the main message was good. However, I thought that the important words like “Visible” and Appearance” should remain in bold.
Poster 9: I applied the same changes to this poster as to poster 8.
Poster 10: I made all the letters big for the important words, ensuring the the main elements of my message are clear.
Poster 11: I applied the same changes to woman disability poster, enlarging the letters of the important words. When I looked over the man and woman poster as a pair, I realised that the word visible was too faint against the white background, so I slightly darken the colour of the word, making it more legible.
Poster 12: All was well when I darken the word visible, making it more legible. However, I thought that their was an element missing from it. I looked over my past poster attempts and saw my “HUMAN BEINGS” poster (poster 2). I decided to adopt that design, turning it into a logo, which I used in my final poster to compliment my message. The addition of the logo gave the poster that element that it was missing, and to me finished it off.
Poster 13: I applied the same changes to my woman poster, adding the human beings logo as well as darken the word visible to make it more legible.
Poster 14: I originally intended that poster 12 and 13 were going to be my final posters. However, after showing my lecturer my final poster, he suggested a few small changes that would improve my posters. It was suggested, as the disability semiotic is already used in the logo, that it should be removed from the brain, as it would enhance the beauty of the illustration.
Poster 15: The same thing was suggested to my woman disability poster. However, this time, it was suggested that more changes were made to the illustration of the woman, which were to tone down the skin, to make her look more feminine and also to change the hair colour to a brunette, so that there were not too many colours. These changes helped the illustration blend in better with the colour scheme of both the man and woman disability discrimination posters.